Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Blog Post # 8









This Is How We Dream

This video is by Richard E. Miller, a professor at Rutgers University. He always dreamed of a career that involved working with books. Now he works with books but no in just one library. He can explore the greatest riches of the world on the web all from his computer. He can receive as much information as he wants with no limits. He makes the point that all this information is available to everyone, and unlike a book you do not have to check it out and take it from someone else.
He has an idea of a new kind of writing, multimedia writing. With this kind of writing you can incorporate videos and images, not just text. This enhances your learning experience. It is visual literacy. I think this will make learning easier and more interesting. Instead of just reading the text you will actually get to see the relevance in it. For example, when the earth quake in Haiti happened would you rather just read about it or see video and images? When you actually see what is going on you can get the full effect.
To make this kind of learning possible Miller said we will need inspiring teachers. I am ready to be an inspiring teacher. I want my children to know that there is more to learning than just what the school requires. I will strive to enable my kids to learn to write with multimedia. This way they can share ideas freely and use their creativity to make a difference in this world.

The Chipper Series and EDM 310 For Dummies

I think that the primary message of these two videos is that even though EDM may seem overwhelming and frustrating at first you can't give up. Everything we learn is crucial and we need to take in as much as possible. I think it would be fun to make a video of kids in a class room learning the traditional way and then kids learning using technology. Just to show the differences would be great!

Learn To Change, Change To Learn 

A point made in this video that I really liked was technology is really not a choice. There will be some who love it and some who hate it but no matter what your feelings are towards it you have to embrace it. If you don't you are doing nothing but hurting yourself because you are missing out on learning. Technology is the direction our education is going and if we sit back and choose not to like it we will be left behind.

The Secret Powers Of Time 

Time can either stress you out or make you chill. In this video it talks about how people value time all around the world. In recent years studies have shown that we have gotten busier and busier. The reason why we are so busy is because we are very future driven. We work hard because we look forward to what the future results of it will be. What this video made me think about is how I do not want to take time for granted. I refuse to get so caught up in the future that I do not live for the moment. Every second is precious so we should treat every second with our families, our education, and our friends like it is the last one.


Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us

David Pink tells us about different studies done all around the world by psychologist, professors, economist, and more. There is no doubt that money is the motive but I think that people are more motivated to work when they are thought of than just a working horse. I think we could use this in the class room by showing the children they have more to them than just a brain that needs to soak in information. They will be motivated by getting to show their creativity. We should strive to find other motivators besides money.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your post about the Chipper Series and EDM 310 for Dummies. I felt very overwhelmed in the beginning, but it has all worked itself out and it is not that bad. I feel as though I am about to accomplish something great. I also think we should video the two different types of learning to use for comparison. That would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hailey,

    I am glad to hear that you are ready to inspire your students and teach them about technology. I definitely think you will do an amazing job preparing your students because of your attitude. Like you said, technology is extremely important, and individuals who do not embrace this change will be left behind not being able to live in our world. While our world changes, our motives, values, and interests are also changing. I personally do not want to be motivated by money, but it appears that money has imprisoned us. We are forced to work to make money to be able to live. It is just a huge cycle, but I do believe that we can break this if we choose to re-evaluate ourselves and accept change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your post about the Learn to Change, Change to Learn post. I agree that technology is not going anywhere so we need to learn everything that we can so we are not missing out on any opportunities in our classrooms. I do think that we are motivated by money and prizes but I do not think that is when we do our best work. Like you said people are more motivated to work when they are thought of than just a working horse. I think people do love money but I think they like to feel appreciated more. From reading your ideas on how to motivate your classroom I think your students will alway be finding ways to motivate themselves other than money and prizes.

    ReplyDelete